Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
I'm your everyday, regular 16-year-old girl with a high ambition. My life regulates around the boundaries which I have unconsciously set upon myself. I can be described as plain, competitive, emotional and thriving. My dream would be to publish a best-selling novel and be internationally known, and later get into (if possible) showbiz. So look out, world! Here comes the great, one and only, N. Hannah!

Criticism and Advice

The closer we're getting to exams, the smaller the school population -- do you notice that? Students have been snatching up every opportunity in the book just to NOT go to school. I, non-regrettably, happen to be one of the many students who happen to do so.

Why?

Well, for most, the main objective is to get some ACTUAL work done. Same goes for me, too, I guess -- but most of all, I skip school just so that I can get some ACTUAL sleep.

Ahem. Well, anyways.

I'm starting to think twice about all this skipping nonsense. Nowadays, instead of waking up to the ear-splitting ring of my alarm clock at 6.15am in the morning, I am met with the ear-splitting scream of my mother forcing me to get out of bed around 8am in the morning -- which, basically to me, is no real help.

I mean, sure, when I don't go to school I get an extra 2 hours of sleep (more or less), but trust me; when your mum yells at you the moment you find yourself in a gripping cliff-hanger in one of those amazing dreams you find difficulty getting, FORCING you out of bed so that you would IMMEDIATELY hit the books -- no help.

ERGH.

I mean, SURE, SPM is close. I get it all ready. But do you SERIOUSLY have to SCREAM at me from ALL THE WAY DOWNSTAIRS??????

AND ANOTHER THING:

My mum and dad seem to be more and more ticked off regarding my behavior. They're calling me unfocused and insensitive -- and had at one point called me "tak guna" (which, in my books, is the ULTIMATE insult).

Naturally, a teenager's reply to such nasty remarks, even when addressed by their parents, would be to create a fuss and storm dramatically out of the scene before locking themselves up inside their bedrooms; My Chemical Romance switched on, full blast.

I hereby proudly proclaim that I am an exception to such childish behavior.

Instead of creating a fuss, I prefer to sag my shoulders in mock-defeat. To match "storming dramatically out of the scene", I usually roll my eyes sarcastically. While others would lock themselves up in their bedrooms and scream to the lyrics of MCR, I just yawn and go, "Yeah, whatever."

Yet, SOMEHOW, my behavior is met with the same reaction of that of parent who has difficulty keeping their 15-year-old spiked-boot-wearing, tongue-piercing, arm-tattooing, party-crashing, daughter in check -- if not WORST, in fact.

I don't get my parents.

When I was 14, they told me I was too stressed out, had taken life too seriously, and thought too much over the tiniest details.

NOW they're calling me a selfish, whatever because I'm the opposite of all those things.

!!!

ALSO,

Both my parents said to me (at different time intervals, of course) that I'm filling my head full of music too much. That when I listen to too much music, my mind gets all fuzzy and I become brainwashed. They say that by repeating the same thing over and over again, it gets into your subconscious or something like that.

That got me thinking:

Why hadn't all the things my PARENTS had said to me gotten into my head when its played on repeat, day in, day out?

Of course, I didn't dare say that aloud.

...

Oh, wait. I did.

That sure got me into a lot of trouble.

Now they've started criticizing me about how I "never fail to come up with a retort to everything they throw at me." And somehow, this whole little speech of theirs managed to fit in a, "Can't you be more responsible?", which, to me, seems completely out of the blue.

Sigh.

This Thursday, my grandfather is coming over. My mums all pissed cause she's saying that he criticizes her too much. She wants him to shut up, I guess.

I gave her some advise, just to keep her from worrying too much:

"Don't come up with a retort to everything he throws at you."

My mum glared at me for that one.

...

I don't get her.

0 comments: